Log cabins were common in Abraham Lincoln’s day. Here’s how to build a pretzel log cabin with a healthy twist: hummus! You can serve this treat on Presidents’ Day.
- Mix 1 cup hummus with 2 tablespoons cream of tartar. This will make “Royal” hummus, which will harden and hold the pretzels together better.
- Lay out 4 pretzel rods in a square, using hummus mortar to hold them together. Make 2 more squares on top of the first square and let them harden.
- Once you have made 3 sets of 3 squares each, put them on top of one another and mortar them together. Let harden.
- Place a square edged container inside your “cabin.” Fill with hummus dip.
- Fold a piece of square cardboard in half. Using “royal” hummus, attach butter crackers to your “roof,” overlapping the crackers shingle style. Let harden. Place the roof on top of the cabin. Enjoy your hummus dip cabin with mini pretzels, carrot sticks, celery or bell pepper strips.The original link to this is no longer there. However, you can see an easier version of a pretzel log cabin here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4517021_make-pretzel-log-cabin-presidents.html