Let these cute little Love Bugs deliver your Valentine’s Day message to that special someone this year. This Valentine’s Day craft is super easy; all you need is an old egg carton and a few other materials to make a fun handmade gift.
- egg carton
- half a red or pink pipe cleaner
- red or pink cardstock
- red or pink paint
- paint brush
- craft glue or hot glue gun (with adult supervision)
- pair of wiggly eyes
- Love Bug Pattern
- felt tip marker
- newspaper (to protect your surfaces)
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper. Cut 1 egg cup from the egg carton for each bug you’d like to make. 1 egg carton can make up to 12 Love Bugs.
2. Turn the egg cup so that the opening is face-down. Have an adult, or older child carefully poke 2 holes in the top front (see photo) of the egg cup. You can CAREFULLY use the tip of your scissors to do this.
3. Let your kids paint the egg cup pink or red, and set it aside to dry. Make sure you set the egg cup on the newspaper to catch any paint spills.
4. While the egg cup is drying, print and cut out the Love Bug Pattern. Trace the pattern onto pink or red cardstock. Cut out 3 hearts for each Love Bug. I heart will be the Love Bug’s face and 2 hearts will be the Love Bug’s wings.
5. Glue the wiggly eyes to the rounded top of one of the hearts, and use the felt tip marker to make a mouth.
6. When the paint on the egg cup is dry, poke the pipe cleaner through the 2 holes on the top of the egg cup for the bug’s antennae (see photo). Roll both ends of the pipe cleaner once around your finger to make the top of the antennae.
7. Glue the bug’s face to the front of the egg cup.
8. Let your kids write a Valentine’s Day message on the wings, and then glue one wing to each side of the Love Bug.
Instead of buying Valentine’s Day cards, you can make these Love Bugs to pass out for your classroom Valentine’s Day party.